Saturday, May 21, 2011

Yoo, Ju hee : 50cm Interval

Blue space, 60X60cm, gouache on canvas,2009


 
50cm Interval

                                                                                                Written by Yoo, Ju hee


I would like to say that painting is like a writing a novel for me. Although there are various types of writing, such as essays and poetry, my process of painting is more similar to that of journals. Instead of emphasizing or intentionally ignoring certain philosophical ideas or notions on art that have been debated throughout the course of history, I follow where my brush leads me. Thus, the process of painting takes place involuntarily while the paint on the brush meets and mingles with the pure surface of the canvas. Then, memories that have been residing deep inside my mind and heart will naturally, yet slowly, begin to arise on the surface. It is at this precise moment, when uncertainties of my memory, of my emotions and thoughts begin to express in a two dimensional form, that I am finally able to observe and understand the subject matter with clarity and precision. In a way, I am becoming an audience myself, looking at what I have painted from a third person’s point of view and thereby putting myself and work itself as the subject matter. Throughout a series of these processes, I am able to learn about myself and the way I express myself and by doing so, I can articulate the artistic language in a more personal and solid way.\

Despite the fact that my paintings do not follow strict mindset or artistic rules, but rather results of unexpectedness, there is a common theme that consistently occurs in many of my works: the space. However, I do not necessarily consider space within physical, psychological or even abstract terms, but rather as a metaphor to the stories of people’s lives. For me, “space” defines the way in which people live their lives within a common reality. Thus, the subject matters painted in my work that has been generated from my own memories, are forming the space of their own, not only reflecting the lives of the people, but also whispering the stories of their own. Empty seat left all alone in a room, patiently waits for someone to sit. Or, has the sitter just left? Or the studio, where an amateur model used to hide shyly behind the sofa, that table where the joyful conversations and unforgettable memories were made just over a cup of tea, and the lamp that used to light up the dark, cold room and warmed me up within. Expressed and articulated in a form of rather geometric and linear composition, each object and the spaces they create within one another create yet another interesting story. More significantly however, the way in which these objects interact with one another and with the space that they are placed within reflect my personal eager to communicate and share with people and objects around me.

     Atelier, 150X80cm, gouache on canvas,2009


 
The representations of the space and objects gain the life of their own by interacting with the pure, untouched canvas. In the process of painting, paint and lines create “spaces” for canvas to reveal its natural surface, and it is this emptiness that ironically gives life to the subject matter. In order to create most natural and organic composition between the forms and colours, I prefer to paint with gouache, which is a natural pigment mixed Arabic gum. This paint produces natural tone and intensity of colours and at the same time transfers my emotions and state of mind without alterations.

Ironically, the space created within the canvas becomes a component of yet another space, whereby the viewers and their thoughts and lives will create new form of art. In fact, the paintings not only invite the viewers to look into the world of the artist but at the same time, become a part of that work itself. As I have mentioned in my introduction, painting is like writing a journal in a sense that I am reflecting my life, memories and imaginations in a very honest and direct way. And I wish that as much I feel closely connected with the space I depict in my painting and the media to express them, viewers would feel that bond with the works of art presented before them.


                  Room, 50X40cm, gouache on canvas,2009



Yoo, Ju hee


Education
  • Duesseldorf FaFM  (Freie Academe Fur  Malerei ) Diplom (2009), Germany
  • Ceramic Craft, College of Fine Arts, Seoul National University (1988), Korea
Exhibitions
  • “Gallery Dooin” Solo Exhibition (2010)
  •  “Kaiserswerth Rathhaus in Duesseldorf” Three Artists Exhibition (2010)
  • “Gallery am Zault” Three Artists Exhibition (2009)
  •  “Kunst Punkte in Duesseldorf” Exhibition (2008~2009)
  • “Kunst Meile in Duesseldorf” Exhibition (2008)
Professional Membership
  • “Duesseldorf Kunst Meile” Artist’s Association
 
Winter scene, 80X80cm, gouache on cotton,2009

 
    Blue memories, 50X50cm, gouache on canvas,2009

No comments:

Post a Comment